Saturday 20 July 2013

Rocky Road (for Amy)

Rocky Road is a firm favourite in the City Kitchen, and what’s great about this is that it doesn't involve any oven time and is so simple anyone could make it! I spent a long time pondering what would be the first recipe on this new blog, but eventually arrived at Rocky Road after a conversation with my friend Amy (aka ‘Bridge’). Amy is someone who has been in the Country Boy Kitchen many times over the years and knows my cooking style as well as anyone. She suggested Rocky Road to premier on my blog after I sent her this rather delicious picture of my creation. So after the ‘rocky road’ of the last year, here it is, recipe 1: Rocky Road.



Ingredients:

100 grams of butter or margarine
250 grams of chocolate (I used dark choc, 50% cocoa, but it works just as well with milk choc)
200 grams of rich tea biscuits (digestives work just as well, but they will be slightly more crumbly once set)
Roughly half a bag of Pink and White Marshmallows

Method:

In a large saucepan melt the butter and the chocolate, stirring until they have formed a thick liquid.

Remove from the heat and leave to cool for approximately 10 minutes. Once cooled crumble the rich tea biscuits into the chocolate mixture and stir in. After this, roughly chop the marshmallows (scissors will do fine) and add to the mixture, stirring until everything is covered with the chocolate.

Line a rectangular tin with baking paper and roughly dollop the mixture in, making sure that it reaches the edges. Don’t try and flatten this down; leave it looking rough and textured.

Leave on the side until completely cool, then chill in the fridge to set (this usually takes a couple of hours to make sure it’s fully hardened.)

Cut into squares and enjoy!

Variations:

Now, if like me, you like raisins or sultanas, you can create a slightly chewier version by adding a handful of these when you are mixing in the ingredients.


For a more grown up palette, add half a teaspoon of chilli flakes (yup, you heard right) which will undercut the sweetness and add a warm after-taste. This variation is great for after dinner treat or a snack served with an espresso. If you do add the chilli, I would recommend cutting into smaller squares, rather than the more conventional bar shape. 

3 comments:

  1. Can't wait to show this off to the Italians! Although they may not even get a look in because it looks so yumny I might eat it all myself :p #greedybridge

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ciao bella! Bridge you will have to let me know how it goes. You can officially be the first person to make one of my recipes :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. And yes, I did eat the majority of the first batch by myself... although work did benefit a bit from this too!

    ReplyDelete